Exterior house painting is a once-in-a-while project, but most homeowners would prefer to paint only once in a great while. If you are also one of them, there is good news: it is easy to increase the life of an exterior paint job by many years or more. Here is how:
- Go for thorough surface preparation: Before starting to paint the walls, make sure the entire surface is smooth and clean, free of dirt, peeling paint, loose paint or mildew. Spot key areas that don’t have any paint.
- Paint in the right weather conditions: Ideally, apply exterior coatings on mild days, when the temperature range is between 60 and 85 degrees F with little wind. This will let the paint or primer to create the most protective dry “coat”.
- Begin with a coat of primer. Priming makes a tackier surface to which paint can adhere tightly, decreasing chances of peeling or blistering. Additionally, the paint will have more uniform color and sheen. Alternatively, apply two or more coats of one of the “primer and paint” products.
- Choose exterior colors carefully: Earth tones are known to have good color retention; other colors like bright red and bright blue fade more quickly. Ask the paint store owner how your color selections will change over time, and choose your hues accordingly.
- Use top quality 100% acrylic latex paint. Acrylic paints are lot more durable than ordinary house paints; they are more flexible, stick better and have superior color retention. These paints can last a decade or more, compared to a life expectancy of just 3 or 4 years for lower quality paint.
- Apply thicker coats: Thicker paint film means better protection. So, apply the paint liberally or best it to hire exterior house painting services Gold Coast and rest assured about proper application. Never water down the paint. Paints are made to be used as-is for the longest-lasting protection.
- Apply an extra coat of paint: Extra coat helps to thicken the protective coating on your home. Also, it may extend the years of service by many years.
By following these tips, you will extend the life of your paint job to the maximum, and reduce the amount of exterior painting you will have to do for years to come.
For exterior house painting services in Gold Coast, feel free to contact Repaint Pro. We have over 20 years of experience in interior, exterior and residential, commercial painting. Our services are pocket-friendly and reliable.
Image Source : pcrashofrhinospainting.com