The process of installing a new roof for your home in Gold Coast is something that most homeowners usually don’t do frequently. After all, most of roofing materials that you might have installed in your home are designed to last somewhere from 15-50 years, depending on the type of roof you have. However, when you want to get new roofing installed, you should definitely learn industry terminology so you can understand what your roof restoration Gold Coast contractor is saying and get the exact roof you want.
- Slope: This indicates how steep the roof is. It is expressed as “rise over run”, which means how many inches the rood increased in height for every 12 inches of horizontal length. For example, a 5-in-12 slope means the roof rises 5 inches for each foot of horizontal roof distance.
- Valley/ridge: Valleys are at the bottom part of two sloped roof sections that meet, while the ridges of the roof are at the top of two sloped roof sections.
- Rake: An inclined area where two roofing slopes meet and extend over an exterior wall of the home.
- Flashings: These are small metal fixtures crucial to keep water out of your attic. Flashings are fastened around any penetrations to stop water from getting in around these areas, which are the weakest part of the roof.
- Penetrations/protrusions: These terms describe anything that must be built around when installing shingles and usually stick out of your roof. Some examples include: chimneys, vents and skylights.
- Fire ratings: It is important to ensure your roofing has an apt rating to protect your home from fire that starts outside the house. Class A ratings have the maximum fire resistance and Class C the lowest.
- Eaves: The area under your roof is eaves. It is generally either flat or sloped surface that connects to your home and spreads out to the edge of the roofing in Gold Coast.
- Roof deck: The surface of the roof under your shingles generally made of board or plywood. It is essential to ensure your roof deck is in good condition before installing shingles over it, as the shingles are only as good as their support.
If you have any questions about roofing Gold Coast, make sure you ask your roof restoration expert before you go ahead with the project. Repaint Pro also provides roof restoration services in Gold Coast at pocket friendly rates.
Image Source: pixabay.com